Students have been asking “Can I do extra credit?” My response is always, “There are plenty of enrichment assignments you can attempt for enrichment points.” What’s the difference? Extra Credit is usually points just added on top of a students grade for whatever reason. Enrichment Points are points added to a grade for completing an extra assignment, but they are averaged in as an extra test, quiz, or project, not just added on top of the existing grade. They definitely help out, but not as much as just piling on points to the existing grade.
So what sort of projects to we have for enrichment? I will keep the complete list on my website, mrsalvucci.com, they will be posted as their own page: Enrichment Assignments. But for now, here is a quick list of projects students can explore for enrichment:
- Working in some way shape or form on the class Internet Talk Show, “Wake Up New Brighton”
- We can use people on camera and behind the scenes to help showcase events and cool things about our school and community.
- Creating a StoryCorps project about someone or something in the community.
- Using the Livescribe Pen to take notes or create a pencast for your classmates.
- Creating a review podcast to help your classmates with course materials.
- Guest blogging on the class blog about a course of study topic or something you find interesting within the school or community at large.
- Updating the class wiki to assist classmates with course information and notes.
The goal is to get students PUBLISHING and CONTRIBUTING to the Internet. I hope to get them to become creators of positive and appropriate information and media. To be aware of appropriate behaviors online in educational and general settings; where these habits can carry over into everyday social media experiences. The students should have a positive digital footprint, one that they and their families can be proud of and use as a reference throughout their educational and professional careers. The enrichment activities listed here are an attempt to move the students closer to those goals.
If you have any questions about this post or the enrichment activities, please feel free to contact me at my school email.
- World War II Project Reflections - November 28, 2018
- Sample Blog Post for Honors US II 2018 - September 4, 2018
- New Wiki - March 21, 2018