Limiting Work Days

Hello my name is Jessica K. from Mr. Sal’s 20th century class. I am going to be talking about the limiting work days in the United States. I will be talking about the weekly maximum working hours, opting-out of the 48 hour week, and who tried to fix the issue.

The average work day is 48 hours, and no adult HAS to work more than that. The 48 hours are normally over a period of 17 weeks. You can work over the average 48 hours a week as long as it averages over 17 weeks and is less than 48 hours per week.

If you are 18 years of age and wish to work more than 48 hours, you choose to opt-out of the 48 hour limit, and must be voluntary or in writing. You should not be sacked or unfairly treated if you do not sign an opt-out. Just remember you can always cancel you opt-out agreement whenever you want.

In November 2002 the 80 hour work limit went into effect in residencies by the American Osteopathic Association. It past but there was a lot of other things involved like, the trainee shall have on alternate weeks 48 hours periods off, or at least one 24 hour period off each week, averaged over a 4 week period.